Looking to appeal the decision after eBay has stepped in to help resolve an issue between you and your buyer? Read more on appealing a decision about a missing item for sellers.
Automatic defect removal
eBay automatically removes defects in certain situations, including where the buyer is found to be at fault, if the problem was caused by an eBay site issue, or if there was an issue outside of your control like shipping service delays, or items being delayed because of an extreme weather event.
✅ eBay automatically removes defects, adjusts your late shipment rate, and removes feedback when:
- The buyer didn't pay for an order and you canceled it using Buyer hasn't paid as the reason.
- The defect, feedback, or late shipment was the direct result of an eBay site issue or program error.
- The delivery estimate shown in the listing was shortened, but tracking shows the item was delivered by the carrier's longest delivery estimate.
- eBay takes action against a buyer for violating the Abusive buyer policy.
- eBay takes action to close an eBay Money Back Guarantee case or appeal request in favor of the seller.
- eBay instructs you to hold a shipment or take action to cancel the transaction.
- eBay can determine through valid tracking that the defect, feedback, or late shipment was the direct result of systemic delays in shipping or communication. Examples include wide-scale shipping carrier delays, items stuck in customs, or power outages due to extreme weather. Actual qualifying events are listed on the announcement board.
In these circumstances, the defect will be removed from your account within 72 hours, so you won’t need to contact eBay.
❌ The following scenarios aren't eligible for removal:
- eBay may remove a feedback comment that violates eBay policy, such as containing profanity or links, but the feedback rating or any defects aren't necessarily removed.
- Late shipment appeals for transactions without tracking to verify on-time order fulfillment or delivery.
To learn how sellers are protected on eBay, read our Seller protection article.
Tip. The transaction defect report provides details on any defects you may have.
Appeal a defect
If the defect you received can’t be removed automatically, sellers can appeal it within 90 days of the transaction if any of the following circumstances apply:
- The buyer opened the request by mistake.
- Tracking was uploaded and shows that the acceptance scan is within your handling time.
- Tracking was uploaded and shows that the item was delivered to the buyer’s address within the stated estimated delivery date. If the order’s total cost (total of item(s), shipping and tax) is 750 USD (750 CAD/AUD or 450 GBP or 550 EUR, depending on the international site you are selling) or more, signature confirmation is required.
- You have proof that a returned item was delivered to the wrong address.
Tip. Visit Seller Help to manage any defects or improper feedback you received for items you've sold.
You might also be interested in
Seller Performance Policy
To meet the expectations of buyers, eBay has put minimum seller performance standards in place. They define the customer service quality eBay expects from sellers and relate to the shipping time, transactions with defects, returns, your communication with buyers and other aspects of your eBay business.
eBay protects not only buyers but sellers as well. Find out what Seller protection is and what criteria the transactions should meet.
Item not received issues
What to do, for example, when you’ve done everything properly, but the buyer didn’t receive the item and has opened a request. Learn how to handle situations like this, how to resolve them correctly and how to avoid such situations in future.
Shipping Performance Policy — Item Not Received Rate
Starting from July 24, 2023, eBay will launch the Shipping Performance Policy — Item Not Received Rate. Sellers with a higher than market average “Item not received” rate may be subject to a range of actions, such as eBay ending or removing your listings, enforcing buying or selling restrictions, adjusting your selling limits and/or suspending all relevant accounts.