What are category limits?
To help buyers find what they're looking for, eBay organizes items into different categories. There are restrictions on the number of items you can sell in certain categories.
It’s important to differentiate between category limits and selling limits.
Selling limit — is an account-based limit which refers to the number of sold items and the items’ total value per month.
Category limits refer to the number of listed and sold items in certain categories (see the list below)
How does the category limit work?
When you reach the category limit, you will receive a message that you can only list further items in this category from the following month. In certain categories, there are restrictions not only on the number of sold but also to the number of listed items.
Who has category limits?
eBay may limit the amount of items you can sell or list in a particular category if:
- it's been less than 90 days since your first successful sale;
- you haven't sold multiple items in this category before;
- you haven't sold in this category in over a year;
- you have more than 3% open cases of eBay Money Back Guarantee.
All eBay sellers are required to meet minimum performance standards, regardless of whether you have a personal or business account.
Which categories are limited
- Textbooks, Education
Cameras & Photo
- Camera & Photo Accessories
- Digital Cameras
- Film Photography > Film Cameras
Cell Phones & Accessories
- Cell Phone Accessories
- Cell Phones & Smartphones
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
- Men's Accessories
- Men's Clothing
- Men's Shoes
- Women's Clothing
- Women's Bags & Handbags
- Women's Shoes
- Women's Accessories
Coins & Paper Money
Computer & Tablets
- Computer Components & Parts
- Desktops & All-In-Ones
- Drives, Storage & Blank Media
- Tablet & eBook Readers
- Laptop & Desktop Accessories
- Laptops & Netbooks
- Monitors, Projectors & Accessories
- Other Computing & Networking
- Printers, Scanners, & Supplies
- Portable Audio & Accessories
- TV, Video & Home Audio Electronics
- Car Electronics
Gift Cards & Coupons
- Gift Cards
Health & Beauty
- Other Health & Beauty Products
Jewelry & Watches
- Engagement & Wedding
- Fashion Jewelry
- Fine Jewelry
- Jewelry Design & Repair Supplies
- Loose Beads
- Diamond Jewelry and Loose Diamonds
- Men's Jewelry
Musical Instruments and Gear
- Electronic Keyboards
- Pro Audio Equipment
- Fitness & Running
Video Games & Consoles
- Video Game Consoles
- Video Games
If you've reached your monthly selling limit in a certain category, you shouldn't list items in a different one, as it violates our Search and browse manipulation policy.
Please, revise your items carefully. If an eBay policy violation is discovered, the following measures may be taken:
- listing removal;
- your buying and selling privileges may be limited;
- your account may be temporarily suspended.
How to increase your category limits
Each seller may be eligible to have a listing allowance in certain categories increased.
To increase your category limits you’ll need to:
- confirm personal information (it is optional and may not be required);
- have an eBay account that's been active for at least 90 days;
- have successfully sold at least a few items in the category, adhering to the eBay Selling Policy;
- earn a high seller reputation, deliver outstanding customer service, meet buyers’ expectations and follow eBay Selling Rules and Policy.
If you've met these eBay requirements, category limits will be automatically increased. You don't need to take further action.
Permission to list more items in the category does not mean the category limit will be automatically removed.